"Patrick Donnelly" <batrick.donnelly@gmail.com> wrote:
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 00:55:32 -0600
Subj: Re: compile-time globals
> Forgive me if this has been done before, but why isn't this construct
> sufficient?
<snipped>

It's sufficient in the sense that it works (one of the first things I
did when I started with Lua was a strict module that would support
exactly this sort of thing; see http://thomaslauer.com/comp/LuaStrict ).

However this sort of checking is all done at *runtime*. I was looking
into the possibilities of doing this at *compile time*. I have since
come to the conclusion that this shouldn't be done by the compiler. It
seems either a separate lint and/or those runtime checks are the way to
go.

--
cheers  thomasl

web : http://thomaslauer.com/start