On 7/21/07, David Manura <dm.lua@math2.org> wrote:

I think a distinction needs to be made between two or three types of
module documentation.  One is the (typically static) API--e.g. the function
signatures and their meaning.  The second is a more conceptual
description of the
module in context--it's purpose, examples, and the logical concepts
the module
deals with (e.g. a module that provides an API for regular
expression matching may
also describe conceptually what is a regular expression, as well as
its syntax
and common usages).  Third, there are the more administrative items such as
credits, license, contacting the author, limitations/known bugs,
dependencies,
project URL, compatibility, etc.

Agreed. After posting my message I thought about "two kinds of
documentation" to, in terms of reference vs. tutorial, a bit like
Reference Manual vs. PIL, and how LuaDoc, like you said, is oriented
towards one type but not the other. For the reference material, I
think docs embedded in the source are the way to go. But yes, they
alone are not sufficient (as it shows in the LuaRocks project, where
we're using a wiki for the rest).