I just installed Lua to script elinks (I recompiled elinks w/ Lua support).

From the command-line, basic Lua expressions work fine, but I can't
get any form of eval working:

lua
Lua 5.0  Copyright (C) 1994-2003 Tecgraf, PUC-Rio
print(5^10)
9765625
lua.eval("print(5^10)")
stdin:1: attempt to index global `lua' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
       stdin:1: in main chunk
       [C]: ?
eval("print(5^10)")
stdin:1: attempt to call global `eval' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
       stdin:1: in main chunk
       [C]: ?

From elinks, if I use "," to get to the Lua console, nothing seems to
work. I tried "2+2", "print(2+2)", and others, and always get back:

ELinks: Lua: bad argument for eval

I sense I'm doing something fundamentally wrong here and/or my
installation of Lua is incomplete somehow? Help!

Note: I'm intentionally using Lua 5.0 because Lua 5.1 and up doesn't
work w/ my version of ELinks (0.11.3) according to the docs.