There are a few different patches for specific uses of operator overloading and extending/enhancing, some of which seem worth using. But instead of adding complexity, a more Lua-like approach is just to provide extensibility instead of more features.

So, I am thinking of making a modification that generalizes operator handling, so that operators are defined in a table that provides for adding new operators, priorities, and associated meta-method names, as well as things like operator aliases. I think it could be done in a way that keeps the core code lightweight, but highly flexible.

Is anyone else thinking about or working on something like this?

Joe Krahn