Although self-hosting compilers are not unusual, I suspect
it hasn't been done with a non-JIT interpreter before, except perhaps as a
research project.

I suspect it's been done many times. If you're old enough to remember when 32Kb was a large amount of memory, you'll have seen them :)

I've done it, so it can't be that hard. I wrote a self-hosted C compiler for the BBC micro which in at least one of its incarnations compiled to an intermediate code that was then interpreted). A derivative of the Small-C compiler - first version was hand translated into BBC Basic, then it compiled itself.