Antonio Scuri wrote:
>   So LuaBinaries does NOT deviates from the "standard" since there is
> no standard in UNIX. So the Makefile had to be changed to match the
> LuaBinaries standard.

I can't point you to any standard, but we can look at what exists and do
the same. On Unix, dll have full version name in the form
something.so.5.1.1 with symbolic links without version number pointing
to it. On windows there is no symbolic link, so the version number has
to be in the linked dll name (the name that is hardcoded in other dll
and exe using the versionned dll). That coupled with the old 8.3 naming
scheme that survived well after DOS died, this number has to be very
short. I looked at my C:\Windows\system32 directory for a list of
versionned dll in there (list follows). Most of these versionned dll
have a 2 digit (sometimes 3) version number, without dots, dashes or
underscores before or between digits, for example msvcrt40.dll or
msvcp71.dll. That's not a "standard" as in ECMA or ISO approved
standard, and OS files themselves have no version in the file name
(because win32 API is backward compatible), but it's a pretty common
naming scheme in Windows world (enforced by Microsoft compiler C/C++
runtime dll).

Here is the list:

MFC71.dll
atl70.dll