Hello,

This is just a quick note to let people know about a little thing I made that lets you browse and search the Lua 5.1 Reference Manual in a hopefully more accessible way than otherwise available.

It's here:

 . http://pgl.yoyo.org/luai/

The default page gives a proper overview, but basically, I wanted some way to access specific parts of the manual without having to have a huge HTML page open in my browser the whole time. I'm always referring to function syntax and checking regex pattern definitions etc., and I generally know exactly where to go, it's just a bit of a pain loading the whole page before I can get there (even with a local copy). (Yeah, I can keep it open the whole time, but it's still a bit unwieldy. :)

Anyway, here's what I made for myself to solve the problem. You can also use function names, section names, and partial words to search the manual:

 . http://pgl.yoyo.org/luai/i/table.insert
 . http://pgl.yoyo.org/luai/i/Lexical+Conventions
 . http://pgl.yoyo.org/luai/i/str

with related links hopefully appearing when they should. I found it quite useful for myself so far, and I hope other people might do too.

It's a bit buggy, but mostly works.

cheers,

 - Peter

--