Not really on topic, but just to add as a comment and a question.

I was wondering how to create a fast integration between C++ and Lua concerning the passing of tables from either side to the other.. My wonderings led me to create a set of C++ classes that reference tables on Lua.. the problem: all tables accessed by their C++ references would have either to:
a) be kept on the stack; or
b) being recursively acquired through a series of 'table getting operation' to the stack as needed.

I have been thinking about using Lua to treat a somewhat big amount of structured data from C++, and I wonder if there´s some design I could use to maximize the speed of that, aside from stuffing Lua State with all the data (not really cool).

That´s not exactly 'marshalling' because I don´t really need to loose memory reference from one side to the other (and marshalling implies that, I believe).

Any thoughts on that?

David Given escreveu:
Per the current discussion on another thread --- can anyone recommend a
decent, *fast*, data marshalling/serialisation system for me?

Requirements: does not need to serialise code and should produce an error if
code is passed in, preferably written in C, should handle recursive data
structures sensibly (either just dealing with them or bailing out with an error).

This is for message passing between Lua universes in multiple host threads, so
I really need something that's as lightweight as possible. I've found a few
candidate libraries, but am interested in what other people are using.

--
Luís Eduardo Jason Santos
Coordenador Técnico