Thanks to those who have responded with suggestions thus far.

I don't have the skill set to create lua hooks into C code and I am trying to avoid using threads/multiple lua instances as, coroutines, if done correctly would use far fewer resources and be more efficient.

I'm currently looking at pydns, as my only option appears to write a lua coroutine that handles the dns socket itself. PyDNS does more than what I need though, which I'm thankful for, as it's over 900 lines.

I would of course prefer if LuaSocket was extended, such that DNS (with an additional parameter) could be non-blocking, returning a socket that could be monitored by select and would provide the result by accessing the function again...or something like that.

Cheers.