David C. Walden:
I downloaded the four files in lua5_1_1_Win32_bin.zip:
  bin2c5.1.exe
  lua5.1.dll
  lua5.1.exe
  luac5.1.exe
Is there a little README file somewhere that tells me
something about these files and how to install and use them?

You should name your source. There's probably a thousand binary distributions of Lua out there... Makes it a lot easier for us to help out :). I'm assuming you got lua5_1_1_Win32_bin.zip from LuaBinaries? I've never used LuaBinaries myself, so here goes (FWIW/AFAIK):

[lua5.1.exe]
This is the interpreter, which depends on lua5.1.dll. You can put it anywhere you want, as long as lua5.1.dll is in your %PATH%. Though you might as well keep them in the same directory.

[luac5.1.exe]
This is the Lua compiler which converts Lua scripts to bytecode. Note that if you give Lua a script to execute, it will always be compiled to bytecode before it's run. So when you compile you script to bytecode up front and then execute that bytecode multiple times this saves some time parsing. Though I've never needed to in ~2 years of Lua.

[bin2c5.1.exe]
I believe this converts Lua scripts to C sources which contain/execute the Lua script when compiled with a C compiler. You won't need it unless your compiling your own C/C++ modules.

I can execute a little program in XP's native command (cmd.exe)
line mode, e.g.,
  >lua5.1.exe test.lua
but the same command won't execute at the cygwin prompt.

I have no experience at all with Cygwin :\. Though I do use MinGW. The only gaurantee I can give you here is that, if you compile the sources yourself under Cygwin, it should work just fine.

Good luck and have fun exploring Lua!

 - Peter