Hello Ivan-Assen,

>> My performance tests show that for
>> function calls there is a lot (i really mean a lot) room for
>> optimization.

IAI> Do you mean there is a lot of *room* for optimization, as in "I know
IAI> how that can be optimized significantly" or, a lot of *need* for
IAI> optimization, as in "I don't like the performance of function calls"?

Both. My measurements were 3,45 sec ~ 4,2 sec (for 10 mio calls to native
C functions) against the same benchmark in ruby. To be precise, i measured
method calls not function calls, the missing object system is hurting
here a lot (I'm already doing VMT method unrolling so a object call
is independent of the deepth of the class hierarchy).

I only had a very brief look at the code but it was enough to see
that a speedup of 100% should be easily possible, with a few changes
on the C side/internal structure.

If this is important will of course depend on your use case. But it
should be optimized.