On Sun, 2007-03-18 at 06:51 -0400, Gé Weijers wrote:
> Relative to Lua's performance:
> C: 31.20   (optimized)
> C: 10.90   (unoptimized)
> Lua: 1.00
> Python: 0.35
> Perl: 0.15

Thanks for these numbers, Gé, they're very interesting.

For my own amusement I tried the run on my machine, and relative to a
plain Lua 5.1, LuaJIT (embedded via Aranha, but I assume still
representative) I get a performance figure of 4.00 to 2DP.

This suggests that if games companies are discarding Lua for being too
slow at function calls, they should consider LuaJIT seriously. LuaJIT is
only really available on x86 platforms, but since the vast majority of
games are intended for those kinds of platforms, I think it's fair to
say it could make a serious difference.

D.

--
Daniel Silverstone                         http://www.digital-scurf.org/
PGP mail accepted and encouraged.            Key Id: 2BC8 4016 2068 7895