On Saturday, March 17, 2007 10:04 AM, Peter Odding wrote:

> [...]
> Thanks for the performance comparison. I should know not to optimize before
> actual benchmarking; I get carried away sometimes :P. When I see hardware ->
> operating system -> apache portable runtime -> lua-apr -> lua, I worry
> about the many layers of abstraction. For example a lot of APR functions
> use memory pools for strings but Lua also uses interned strings, which
> means every string exists twice in memory. I guess this is the price to pay
> for portability and safe API's.

Just an FYI:
Ryan Bloom has this to say, "...APR's reliance on pools were my absolute
biggest mistake in APR..."[1].

It would be wise not to expose the memory pool notion to the Lua-APR binding.

Cheers,
Vijay Aswadhati

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/apr-dev/200502.mbox/%3C1f1d98205022413