David Burgess wrote:
> Try dropping the /D_CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE
As far as I know this shouldn't change the compilers output, just mute some warnings about `deprecation'. Anyway I tried and it makes no difference.

> What locale are you using?
I don't know the syntax Windows uses for locale names, but it's NL-NL (Dutch).

Todor Totev wrote:
You might try installing Service Pack 1 for Visual Studio 2005 and try again.
I had no idea there was a service pack for the Express editions! Though it doesn't help; the sample still crashes.

Also, last week Microsoft released patches to the C run-time dlls.
Again, no change.

Thank you both for your help. I'm planning to do a fresh Windows XP SP2 install in about a week, so I'll see if that fixes the crash.

 - Peter