Sam Roberts wrote:
Lua is scheme-minimalist in many ways, but one thing the lisps have
usually provided (always?) is data marshalling. You can write and
read recursive data structures natively. I know, there are dozens of
implementations of this out there for lua... but maybe thats a bad
thing.

That's funny, I just updated my DumpObject script, to sport a nicer (more compact) representation of empty table. I also corrected a bug (non-matching quotes in tostring output for functions and other special data).

http://lua-users.org/wiki/PhilippeLhoste

Not that anybody care, but hey! :-D

I had to write a small function to test if a table is empty. Did I miss something more straightforward? I recall some discussions around this point, but not the final word on the topic...

  function IsTableEmpty(t)
    local c = 0
    for k, v in pairs(t) do c = c + 1 end
    return c == 0
  end

My script is still in Lua 5.0 (works fine in Lua 5.1 too).

--
Philippe Lhoste
--  (near) Paris -- France