Anyhow, the thing that I am interested the most is:

"And to aid in rapidly designing code we added a complete state synchronizer
that allowed you to modify any Lua code and reload it while the game was
running."

How can this work? And how stable can this work? Any idea? It sounds highly useful, but I can't imagine that this can work stable - what if
certain variables are removed or parts are changed - what is happening then to
the previously assigned values?
In my Lua/C++ mixed projects I always have a "Reload" option which allows you to reload all Lua files. I do this simply by clearing the require-cache and running dofile on "main.lua" thus causing all lua-files to be required again.

I do the "Reload" when I'm on the C++ side, so there is no Lua code running when it is being reloaded. Since the "*.lua" files mostly define functions and methods, reloading is pretty safe. I take care to write the code so that global variables are not obliterated when it is reloaded.

Instead of this:

   Account = class()
   function Account:init()

I write:

   Account = Account or class()
   function Account:init()

Now a reload does not recreate the class, it just redefines the methods.

I have error handling set up for lua_pcall(...) so that if an error occurs in the Lua code, the C++ part does not exit. Instead it prints the error message, waits for me to fix the error and reload the lua scripts and then continues running.

I can highly recommend this setup. It is a great speed boost to be able to modify the Lua scripts without having to restart the C++ program.

// Niklas