Hi,

Peter Odding wrote:
> I was thinking about embedded platforms aswell, but then, how much embedded
> platforms will be supported by APR? Currently none, or so it seems[1]:

In this case: YAGNI, ignore my comment. Use fractional seconds. :-)

> I seem to remember reading that
> regarding performance double/float/integer(?) doesn't matter much anymore
> on modern (x86?) processors. Is this still a valid reason to compile Lua
> with integer numbers?

It's really pointless for your average desktop or server CPU. But
most ARM and MIPS CPUs have no hardware FP support. These are
used a lot for embedded devices. But since Intel and AMD have
announced to invade that niche with their x86 designs, the
situation will be quite different in a few years.

> This would suggest that a userdatum might be a better solution? (asking
> all..) Which would BTW enable a __tostring metamethod with a default date
> representation.

Ick, please no. If anyone absolutely needs microsecond precision
timing, then the last thing they need is one object allocation
per query (taking quite a few microseconds ...). :-)

Avoid falling into the BDUF trap.

Bye,
     Mike