 But i'm not sure if we really can afford [message passing instead of shared memory] in the future when we have dozens of CPU's even in simple home computers.

My guess is that by the time we'll have to take multi-CPU into account for every developments, shared memory won't be missed much more than we miss auto-modifying ASM code today...

Message passing seems to be the only model that will be able to keep complexity manageable before we get parallel platforms everywhere.