Vijay Aswadhati wrote:
> On Saturday, February 10, 2007 8:13 AM, David Given wrote:
>> (Alternatively, develop on OpenBSD --- it does this kind of validation
>> automatically, all the time!)
>
> Is that true for FreeBSD as well?

I don't believe so (although they may well be thinking of porting the changes,
they're extremely nifty).

> Also, any good references that provide information in choosing between
> FreeBSD and OpenBSD would be appreciated.

The cliched summary is that NetBSD does portability, FreeBSD does ix86
performance, and OpenBSD does security.

Personally, I'd recommend OpenBSD for any serious installation; I've used it
in the past. It's smooth and professional and Just Works, but it does demand
respect. You need to be prepared to sit down and learn how to do things, or
it'll eat you alive. But it's all beautifully consistent (the firewall
subsystem is a work of art), superbly documented and is packed full of handy
security features. For example, check out the malloc() man page:

http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=malloc&sektion=3&arch=i386&apropos=0&manpath=OpenBSD+Current

There's a Lua package for it, too.

--
┌── dg@cowlark.com ─── http://www.cowlark.com ───────────────────
│ "I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as my