Hello all

Perhaps this is a question previously treated in this list, but I think
it is worth another touch (once more).

I wonder what GUI 'platform' is the better (for my use, see later)
for using with Lua.

I knowed Lua through wiki.tcl.tk (sure, it is cited). My first contact
was with Lua 5.0.

I did some Tk programming with direct Tcl. But Lua is more of my taste.
Taking this into account I looked for Tk+Lua. Tklua exists (or existed?)
but the last modification (?) dated to 1998 (as its webpage states).
A port to Lua 4.0 has been done, but its date is 2001.

Then I analyzed wxLua and iupLua (only some navigation in the
documentation). But for using one of them I have to study. Yes, it is
not very difficult, but it is time and work.

Perhaps both are better than Tk, that has some criticism. But Tk has
some advantages:

1) it is present in the main computer platforms (I think)

2) it is very tested

3) a lot of people know it (through Perl, Python, Ruby and obviously Tcl)

I think Tk is not as bad as some people say. Perhaps its aesthetics is
somewhat outdated in some platforms.

The main question:

   Is it as difficult to port Tk to Lua 5.1?

(I am not a Lua expert, only a user; I know very little about the
internals).

The point 3) before links with the impact of Lua in the computing world
(many times cited in this list). A Tk port for the last version of Lua
could increase the number of users of Lua. I think that certain critical
mass have to be achieved for the full taking off of Lua in the computer
community. Perhaps some people have the opposite idea: Lua has took off;
and others could think: Lua does not need more impulse, it is good in
its niche. However, I think as many of you that Lua is very good as a
general purpose computer language, and it should conquer other fields,
apart from (mainly) games.

Manel