On 28-Jan-07, at 3:35 PM, RJP Computing wrote:

You can either bind your OS's setenv-like/spawn-like API calls yourself,

That means I have to maintain the Lua source for my modified version.

No, it's just an extension library; in the normal way, you can compile your extension libraries as DLL's and simply use require() to load them (or you can preload them in your application if you're embedding Lua.)

Mark Edgar has done an (in my opinion) nice binding of setenv, spawn and some other system calls which works on both Windows and Un*x. See http://lua-users.org/wiki/ExtensionProposal for details. There are other bindings as well, or you can write your own -- it's very easy.