On 19-Jan-07, at 9:57 PM, Raymond Jacobs wrote:

And if not, is the fact that i am asking for a string (lua_tostring),
all the time for the table key a problem?

Yes. Either lua_tostring() will change the key into something else, which is a problem, or it will return NULL, which might cause your writeString() function to segfault.

One thing i noticed is the first element's key in the subtable is "1",
which I wasn't expecting, but I guess it uses numbers if you dont
supply an actual key.

Numbers are "actual" keys. Tables are mappings from the set of Lua objects into the set of Lua objects.