On 13-Jan-07, at 5:39 PM, Graham Wakefield wrote:

Duh sorry - I see that lua_checkstack() returns false on error, not an error code.

Still - can I be sure that gc() won't shrink the stack back down again?

Yes, at least until you return from the stack frame in which you call lua_checkstack.

If I recall correctly, Lua is pretty conservative about shrinking the stack. Have you actually experienced problems with multiple reallocations?