 > Norman Ramsey <nr <at> eecs.harvard.edu> writes:
 >
 > > But I think the real intellectual work lies in the design
 > > of the schema language.  How, for example, should I specify...
 >
 > Keep it simple!  You said you wanted something to protect against
 > spelling mistakes and such, and the simple "prototype" schema works
 > just fine for that.

The trick is to make things as simple as possible, but no simpler.
In my case, if a datum fails to validate, I insist on a helpful error
message.  (Remember the infamous 'syntax error' message from the first
C compiler built with yacc?  'The experienced user can usually figure
out the problem'.)  My solution provides one (which you may have
missed since it was a MIME attachment).

NR