On Monday 18 December 2006 14:05, Philippe Lhoste wrote:
> Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo a écrit :
> > FLEXON
> > http://www.lua.org/uses.html#259
>
> Interesting. I didn't saw much Java programs to use Lua.
> I still wonder if rewriting Lua in pure Java is possible... (thus,
> no need for platform-specific versions).

It's certainly possible to implement any kind of VM (or even hardware
emulation: http://www.dreamfabric.com/c64/ ) in Java  - but VM over
VM isn't exactly the most efficient solution in "instruction hungry"
applications.

Some hybrid solution might work, sort of like a JIT compiler that
issues Java VM code... Or a Lua compiler that generates Java
binaries.

Either way, Lua itself isn't the real problem here. It's the add-ons,
implemented in C, C++ and whatnot; anything that isn't trivial to
translate to Java. That is, "Lua over Java" might quickly turn into a
really big project, if it's supposed to be a straight platform
independent alternative to native Lua.

.-------  http://olofson.net - Games, SDL examples  -------.
|        http://zeespace.net - 2.5D rendering engine       |
|       http://audiality.org - Music/audio engine          |