I'm a bit in favor of a OO system that comes with lua, but not in a way
that makes all posibilities we have now go away. Only to have a standard
system to use when you don't need that special quirk that's not already
provided.

    The Lua community is unable to standardize simple API extensions,
I do not believe it's going to create some OO standard in the
foreseeable future.

Just for fun, have a look at the Tcl/Tk newsgroup and check out
all the messages on which OO methodology should be "baked in" to
the Tcl core.

I'm not sure that increasing the user base with a standard OO system
is really valid. Based on the issues that come along with a large user
base and the loss of focus for the language designers, I'd say keep
the language and user base small.

Lua is a nice secret weapon :-)

Ralph