I'm interested in contributing to the book. Don't know what yet but i
suppose 5 years working with Lua don't pass without a gem to be found
somewhere. ;)

In any case I'd like to participate in the process of compiling and
reviewing the gems because that will be a learning experience.

Btw, the following should definetely be considered a gem:

VC2005, autoexp.dat - examine the Lua stack in the debugger

I would also like to recommend to dedicate a section of the book to
"common issues" like including lua headers in C++ projects with extern
"C" {...} or why luaopen_io(L) crashes in Lua 5.1 and so on.