Attached is a set of token tuning tools, and some tune-ups, to give your Lua a flashy, almost syntax-over-sugary look. I don't promise furry backseats, no built-in XBox 360, but almost. :)

Requirements:
Lua 5.1 with token filter patch applied (not included)

Ignition:
     make LUA=path-to-your-modded/lua

Tested on:
     OS X 10.4 (but there's nothing system specific)

Gains:
? cond { true_choice, false_choice } --> _G['?'](cond){ true_choice, false_choice }
    #...        -> select('#',...)
    ...[n]      -> (select(n,...))
    exp +=  -> exp = exp +
    exp -=  -> exp = exp -
    exp *=  -> exp = exp *
    exp /=  -> exp = exp /
    exp ..=  -> exp = exp ..
tbl.until (and other reserved words: function, repeat, nil, false, true)
    {|, until=
    obj:until
    =|,|(|{ do  -> =|,|(|{ function()

The important part really is the ftools.lua, which allows multiple filters to co-operate, without need to know of each other. As to my knowledge, this hasn't been possible earlier.

-asko