Hi,

What's common practice in the case that a module has both a C and Lua component?
Is there a standard neat way out?

I don't know how common it is, but I love doing it.
LuaSocket, the MIME module, and LuaThread all do it.  There
is a socket.lua file. This is what is require()d by the
user, so it is in the LUA_PATH. It in turn require()s
"socket.core". There is a core.so inside a socket/ directory
in the LUA_CPATH.  Both export symbols into the socket
namespace.

There might be better ways, but this has worked well for me.

[]s,
Diego.