Twice before I have hacked the lua IO library (liolib) to optionally read and write from functions instead of IO descriptors. I did
this so that I could get the IO library to work in a windowing environment. Since I have changed jobs I no longer have this old code
and I am about to hack it again. However before I do I thought I would check to see if there is some better or standardized way of
doing this now. If not, I'll go ahead and hack it again. After doing it twice before it will probably only take me a few hours now
:-P

Also if any lua support guys are listening I was wondering if it might be better to just add this to the library at some point. The
way I hacked it before the library worked exactly the way it used to unless you registered IO functions with it, in which case it
would switch over to using them. I'm not sure if this fits the vision or not but it seems convenient. Just a thought.

Ram