> The attatched patch should let you change you chage the LUA_ROOT (and
> LUA_LDIR and LUA_CDIR) with -D
>
> CFLAGS = ..... -DLUA_ROOT=\"$(INSTALL_TOP)\"

luaconf.h explicitly avoids #ifndef like this

+#ifndef LUA_ROOT
 #define LUA_ROOT       "/usr/local/"
+#endif

luaconf.h is supposed to be edited and frozen when installed so that further
compilations of client code correctly reflect what the library has, at least
in the public parts.

Furthermore, the Makefile in src/ does not know about INSTALL_TOP, which is
only defined in the top-level Makefile.

Bottom line: you have to change the top-level Makefile to reflect luaconf.h.
Perhaps we should add a comment in the Makefile about this.
(There's also etc/lua.pc.)
--lhf