On Tue, 2006-10-17 at 22:33 +0200, Wim Couwenberg wrote:
> Hi Luiz,
>
> > So, my suggestion, which has already been made recently, is that we join
> > efforts and write an extended OS library that works on POSIX and Windows,
> > and that can be easily ported to other OS. That requires that we reach
> > an agreement about what to include in it and most important what *not* to
> > include.
>
> Promising plan.  I'd like to help out on the Windows and OS X part where
> possible.  I (like David I suspect) have made several attempts at such a
> unified library (on Linux and Win32) several times.  It is not simple,
> alas.  Some fairly straight forward concepts are annoyingly different in
> POSIX vs. Windows and not all differences are easy to overcome.

I'd like to make a list of what funcs are trivial and what are not. The
we can get started with the easier parts, while using more time on the
non trivial.

> Such a library would require a very well-thought-out basis and a main
> owner/moderator.

Luiz has already offered himself.

> If everyone just starts contributing small snippets here and there then
> I'm quite convinced that it will not work, at all.

Agree. We need a plan we can follow, or everybody will continue doing
their own stuff in their own way, and things will continue as they are
today.

Natanael Copa