I think we may be agreeing.

I’m arguing that there are systems on which Lua can run which will never be able to support all of POSIX.

So I would support an activity aimed at splitting the POSIX monolith into discrete parts (like the file system, or the environment variables to use two examples already suggested by others) and agreeing how Lua would be extended to support those parts. Then Lua on a specific system could be extended to use some of those parts in a compatible way, even if all of POSIX (lposix) could not be supported.

P.

From: lua-bounces@bazar2.conectiva.com.br [mailto:lua-bounces@bazar2.conectiva.com.br] On Behalf Of Mike Panetta
Sent: 17 October 2006 19:06
To: Lua list
Subject: Re: about lposix

On 10/17/06, Paul Hudson <phudson@pobox.com> wrote:

>Here's an example then. Another app I have is a very memory constrained
>embedded system. It's running Lua on an ARM7TDMI core in 256K of FLASH
>and 64K of RAM.

Another example: The Blackberry doesn't have a file system, but has lots of
other features that would fit within the POSIX framework.

Such as?  Sorry, I'm not trying to be a jerk.  I am just trying to get my mind around this.  I have a very specific and definate idea of what POSIX is, and how it fits in this.  In my mind if something has the concept of a file, or a signal, or a process, and its not already generalized in some other way thats *widely* used (keyword widely IE the windows api is not POSIX but it is definately widely used), why not make it look POSIX?  There are already man pages and books that tell you how to use POSIX API's :)