Both ImageMagick and GnuPlot have PDF output, but it may be they're using something else underneath for this.

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 13:11:50 -0300
Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo <lhf@tecgraf.puc-rio.br> wrote:
Does the licensing of PDFlib allow for commercial use of the
final application?

I'm afraid not [1]. I'm not sure this has changed since PDFLib 5, which is what I used in lpdf. I usually make a point to bind to free software only.

Another (recent) entry in the OS PDF library world is:

<http://libharu.sourceforge.net/>

Nice, thanks for pointing this out. It looks similar to PDFLib and so it
should be easy to write a Lua binding for it.

[1] http://www.pdflib.com/products/pdflib-family/pdflib-lite/pdflib-lite-licensing/

--lhf