On 16-Oct-06, at 9:52 AM, David Jones wrote:

On 14 Oct 2006, at 00:37, Rici Lake wrote:

lua_sethook() is advertised as being signal-safe. I'm prepared to trust Roberto's judgement that it is, although it seems to me that Posix would prefer that some of those fields be declared as volatile sig_atomic_t. However, I'm sure that Roberto has thought this through, and certainly I haven't noticed any problems with it.

In this context volatile is voodoo (and unnecessary). If the promise made by sig_atomic_t requires the volatile qualifier (and it probably does) then that qualifier should be part of the typedef otherwise the standard isn't being implemented properly.

Quite right. I was misreading posix, and not for the first time.