On 06/10/2006, at 6:02 PM, Wesley Smith wrote:

How does eveyone determine the location of scripts relative to their
application?  I've been racking my brain on this one and haven't found
a solution yet.

This has become an increasing problem as more users are using Lua in my case, and distributing scripts for other people who may have different directory structures.

I ended up providing an API (callable from Lua) that gave the current directory, as well as the directory the script ran from (not necessarily the same thing).

A related issue is that in the package.path setup, any "!" symbols are expanded to the execution directory, but only at load time for the package module.

That is, if you change package.path to something else, like this:

package.path = "!\?.lua"

... and then attempt to load something, you will simply get the "!" in the filename, not the execution directory.

Personally I think it would be better to expand out the "!" every time, otherwise you are stuck with the default paths, if you want to use the execution directory.

- Nick