On 2-Oct-06, at 10:09 AM, David Burgess wrote:

So from my perspective it would nice if the code could be was loaded once
without symbols. However if this is extraordinarily difficult I guess
the dump or strip solution is better than nothing.

Since the compiler needs to know the names of locals while it is compiling, it wouldn't be possible to compile without collecting that information. You could ditch the information after the compilation is done, which is what lhf's lua_strip() does. Theoretically, you could ditch the information a few microseconds earlier when the prototype is finalized, but you wouldn't really be saving anything.