Wim Couwenberg wrote:
Does anyone else have view on my wish for: lua_load(), lua_dump()
to have an extra parameter that strips the debug symbols?

I would such a feature as well.

For lua_load, yes please, and in the Lua interface as well.  Is it
necessary for lua_dump?  Another option might be a strip function for
closures (prototypes really).

For internal use within luatex, we use dump a big table representing
the entire unicode standard at format generation time. The size
difference between the stripped / unstripped bytecode (from luac)
is about half a megabyte, enough to be noticeable when loaded from
a networked drive.

I have looked at the way luac does stripping, but I consider that
much too low-level for 'normal' use.

Greetings, Taco