[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
- Subject: Re: boolean operators
- From: Asko Kauppi <askok@...>
- Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 16:10:43 +0300
Well done, and most people seem to agree with you on the use of
strings the way you've done.
There's one biiiig but in there, and that is documentation & learning
curve. You'd basically have to redocument all of the binded API, to
tell people which way it should be used from Lua. And, most likely,
they wouldn't, since that only adds to the (imho seeming) exotism of
I'm all for "impedance matching" in the binding, don't get me wrong.
Lua bindings should work the Lua way; use multiple return values etc.
tools that we do have available, and which are efficient. A program
should look _nicer_ when done in Lua than in any other language. :)
At the same time, its terminology should be as close to the original,
most often C library, which is being documented and also written
about in books - i.e. SDL has numerous books about it. For this
reason, sidestepping GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT -> "Color" is a very bad
thing. And even "GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT" would be...
The only major issue in regard to native vs. Lua working differently,
was the SDL main loop. In C, it returns 0/1 but in Lua it returns
false/true. This means some code examples are bound to work, and
others not. Or the other way round. Such issues need, of course, to
be documented by the binding.
Alex Queiroz kirjoitti 22.9.2006 kello 14.39:
On 9/21/06, Sam Roberts <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
>From an extension point of view, when I'm using lua to extend my C
libraries, I find lack of a facility thats is so useful when
to be slightly surprising, since in general much of lua seems
designed to make what interacting with C easy and powerful (upvalues,
environments specifically useful to C functions, etc.).
For a *very* thin OpenGL binding I once wrote I used
glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT | GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT)
and I was able to manipulate large terrains with almost the same speed
of a similar C program (the terrain simplifier was written in C in
both cases). I don't think the loss of readability was worth the few