On Monday, September 11, 2006 5:26 PM, Andreas Rönnquist wrote:

> I was browsing an online store and saw the book "Game Development With
> LUA" by Paul Schuytema and Mark Manyen - Is it any good? the two reviews
> that are up on amazon gives it a 2 and a 5 (out of 5) - so that isn't
> very much help.

I bought the book and was disappointed to say the least. And if I may speak
my mind, I was disappointed to see the foreword written by one of the Lua
authors for such a bland and uninteresting book and I am still trying to
figure out why it is a 'must-have' book for anyone interested in game
development. Even without knowing too much about game programming I got the
feeling that text did not illustrate any shining examples to serve as a
foundational reference.

There are few to no books, offering good coverage of moderate to complex
native binding to C/C++ object systems. It is not that I do not know how to
do it, what I find lacking is an authoritative reference that says here is
how you should do it. I guess by the time any such book arrives I would
acquire that wisdom by myself.

As mentioned by 'Robert Osfield' you can get much more out of the Lua
Reference Manual; and 2 out of 5 is a pretty charitable rating. But as
others have pointed out it depends on what you are seeking.

Vijay Aswadhati