From: lua-bounces@bazar2.conectiva.com.br on behalf of Philippe Lhoste
Sent: Fri 9/15/2006 02:16
To: lua@bazar2.conectiva.com.br
Subject: Re: newbie - Lua and unicode

David Given a écrit :
> Phil Teschner wrote:
> [...]
>> It is not just Windows that uses UTF-16.  If you look at the wikipedia reference for UTF-16 it lists some common OS and applications:
>
> Actually, most of the items you list *can* use UTF-16, but *prefer* to
> use UTF-8. Windows and Java are the exceptions that I know about, and
> it's causing them endless grief  [...]

Phil, I don't see all this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTF-16

"
Major operating system usage
UTF-16 is the native internal representation of text in the Microsoft
Windows NT/Windows 2000/Windows XP/Windows CE, Qualcomm BREW, and
Symbian operating systems; the Java and .NET bytecode environments; Mac
OS X's Cocoa and Core Foundation frameworks; and the Qt cross-platform
graphical widget toolkit.
"

I agree with David, but Windows (and Java) programmers have to live with
this encoding...

--
Philippe Lhoste
--  (near) Paris -- France