On 11/09/2006, at 11:42 PM, Roberto Ierusalimschy wrote:

However, we like to think that people buy PiL because they really want
to read such a marvelous book, not because they want to help Lua :)

I have bought both editions, a decision I have never regretted.

The book is well-written, and the concise examples are a great advertisement for Lua in particular, and how to write in a simple, effective way, in general.

The major addition to the 5.1 book was the section about the package system, and the module function. After reading that I understood what the module/require functions are trying to do, and am using them more extensively in my code now. :)

- Nick