Right; I understand this point of view. The problem though is that table.insert(t, v ) has a hash lookup penalty and a function call penalty.

local table_insert = table.insert

will get rid of the hash lookup, but the function call is somewhat painful inside a tight loop.

I've actually found myself making local tables named "t" (where otherwise I had more meaningful names), in order to make the append easier to read... which is unfortunate.

--
Tim Gogolin
Lightroom Engineer, Adobe Systems