Asko,
my responses are in between the lines of your message below.

On 8/14/06, Asko Kauppi <askok@dnainternet.net> wrote:

There is no memory management involved in David's code clip. There
shouldn't.

This is exactly my problem with David's solution. For instance, a
value that is shared could be a pointer to an open file or some other
resource that may require a finalizer (__gc metamethod). There should
be a way to involve GC if it is needed.

'static' variable is not memory managed, and all the light user data
are, are pointers to that memory location.

As I pointed out earlier, an upvalue can be anything not necessarily
"static" value as defined in C.

About your real question, I am still listening (don't know an answer
myself). Maybe it's a twisted design, from your side. What exactly do
you need the shared upvalues for? :)

There is no any twisted design here:-) To put it simply I am trying to
understand to what degree C-closures resemble  Lua-closures. Lua
closures are very clean and consistent mechanism for doing all sorts
of privacy/sharing policies. I would like to achieve same behaviour
with C-closures or at least to understand what the differences and
limitations are. IMHO, comparing C-closures and Lua-closures is a good
entry for Lua FAQ.

Thanks,
--Leo--