Many apologies.  This comes of trying to do six things at once.

Both # and table.getn *are* supported in the version I downloaded.  I don't post often to this list, so when I get it wrong like that it makes me feel even more like an idiot.

OTOH the package I downloaded (lua5_1_Win32_bin.tar.gz) does *not* include any headers.  So I did need all your help, for which, many thanks.

Andy.

On 8/7/06, Antonio Scuri <scuri@tecgraf.puc-rio.br> wrote:
At 14:41 7/8/2006, Andy wrote:
>Hi Antonio,
>Thanks for your help.
>The problem is that I downloaded the binary package from the
>"binaries" part of the web site, so I don't have a luaconf.h to look at.

   All the library packages include the public headers, and the
source code package is also available in the LuaBinaries.

>You say LUA_COMPAT_GETN is not defined; but I assure you that "#"
>does not work and "table.getn" does.

   From Jim Whitehead mail you can see that "#" is working.

   The manual says that only setn is deprecated, so getn will still
work, although you should use "#".

   Looking at the source code the LUA_COMPAT_GETN definition affects
only the luaL_getn and luaL_setn C functions declaration and implementation.

Best,
scuri

--
It's Like This