> I also simplified things by removing all the Lua standard libs that my
> project doesn't require (IO, OS and String libs). Note that even when
> these libs are left out, there are a lot of file and string uses in the
> lua code that require changing.

As far as we know, there are no file operations inside the Lua
core.  (It uses sprintf, which is defined in stdio.h, but this is
not a real file operation.) In the other libraries, we try to keep
file manipulation to a minimum (print in baselib, debug in debug,
and loadfile/panic in auxlib.c; string.format makes heavy use of
sprintf, but does not use files). String operations we do use without
restrictions, as it is easy to implement them in C whenever necessary.

-- Roberto