> Does using lua threads actually imply that I must use a thread?  In the
> model I am suggesting, only one application is 'live' at a time - you
> can imagine a main menu with apps hanging off it.  You go into each app
> one at a time.  No application concurrency.
>
> Can application access the threads global table (and by implication)
> access another application's data?  Or can this be prottected in the
> manner you have described with the global table?

If there is no concurrency, then you may try to create a single parent
state containing your static data and functions and then load each
"application" into a separate child state for which the global table
has been changed to an empty table with an __index metamethod pointing
to the parent global table. All static data will be seen in the child
state but they'll be protected against wrtiting.
--lhf