Here is my two pence,
Lua is a good little scripting language (emphasis on the word 'little'), its not really for games only, I feel its a general language. I really shines when embedded into a C/C++ program to give it extra flexibility.
A lot of games use it to add features, eg in an RPG game the quests are scripted.

For a pure development, I don't see why you cannot use Lua. Out of the box, there is nothing to support it, but thats why there are 1001 extentions to Lua (its so easy to extend/embed).

You will need some kind of code for the graphics & sound (Allegro or SDL being at the top of my list). If you like 3D, then I suggest looking for a ready written 3D engine which has Lua bindings (Ogre I think does, Crystal Space & Irrict might have).
I suggest either look for a good engine with Lua bindings (can anyone suggest one?) or you can use the graphics primitives (Allegro/SDL) and write your own enginge in Lua.

Hope this helps,
Mark Gossage