On certain systems, initialization of SDL library is done before main() is called, by 'hijacking' main into
the SDL codebase (-lsdlmain). This is not possible from within an extension module, since a main loop
is already up and running.

Anyways, this seems to be a known issue also on SDL list, and there is hope SDL 1.3 shall "fix" it,
offering an alternative initialization/cleanup scheme.

-asko