On Mon, 17 Apr 2006, Roberto Ierusalimschy wrote:

But we still feel uneasy to add that complexity in the core to solve something that can be solved in a much simpler way by external means. (Maybe time may cure our uneasiness...)

I think there are a few issues to unpick here:

1. Internal vs external complexity. The API changes are small.

2. Sometimes internal complexity is worth having in order to make users' lives simpler. The new GC is a case in point, as, further back in history, is the hash table implementation.

3. If you did implement something like this yourselves, you could probably simplify it as it was integrated.

(On the other side you could question the goal of Lua to be 100% ANSI C, and wonder whether having some platform-dependent code inside in order to make it simpler is a good idea. I think the answer is still "no": if you want to do this sort of thing properly, you should be writing Lua in C--. It's hard to beat the utility of a pure ANSI C implementation.)

--
http://rrt.sc3d.org/
L'art des vers est de transformer en beautés les faiblesses (Aragon)